The fast food industry is destroying our health and it’s destroying our planet. How many times have you heard someone rant something along a similar line? Now whether you agree with it or disagree with it, the fact is fast food is very popular and why would that come as a surprise? It tastes great and as we all live in a society that demands fast which is taken to mean in an instant, fast food serves up a tasty meal within minutes which makes it such a great choice for the people on the go. Now for the focus of this post, we’ll be ignoring the effects fast food has on the body , and instead shining the spotlight on the waste it creates – in particular the waste created through the use of plastic straws.
Now the need for the use of straws in the fast food industry is not really debatable, because drinking straws were invented to aid in the act of drinking. And when you’re talking about drinking sodas, the use of drinking straws help reduce the effect of tooth decay as it reduces the direct contact between the acidic liquid and your teeth. But what is debatable is the type of straws being used.
Up until today, many outlets are still using toxic plastic straws when they could invest in the other eco-friendly alternatives. So what are the eco-options available? Well here they are:
• Paper straws
• We’re not talking about paper being just paper which would turn to mush at the very first contact with water. We’re talking about paper straws that have a wax coating which allows some durability yet stays bio-degradable.
• Bamboo straws
• Made from 100% genuine, all-natural bamboo, these might be a little costly for a fast food joint budget but it would do great if you’re having a home party. They look fantastic in cocktails and are reusable!
• Bioplastic straws
• Bio-degradable corn plastic straws might be the perfect substitute for the conventional plastic straws used at fast food outlets.
• Glass straws
• These are beautiful and I think everyone should have their own glass straw. They make lovely gifts just as you would present someone with a set of chopsticks. Granted these are not meant for fast food joints but maybe a restaurant like environment.
• Stainless steel straws
• I’m not a fan of these only because they remind me of the dentist. But they are reusable so great for home and maybe those themed establishments.